Monday, February 4, 2008

Deployed for peace

Re: the ongoing conversation of "why did you join the Peace Corps?"

I hate war.

Specifically, I hate the killing, torture and misinformation currently being perpetuated in my name and with my tax dollars. You don't win allies by bombing people's houses and murdering their children; you breed enemies. I thought everybody knew this.

Two years ago, I took a temporary job as a military subcontractor, teaching literature and composition. I hoped to understand the people who volunteered to travel to distant lands and kill complete strangers because a guy who can't even string together a coherent sentence told them to. What I found out shocked me: The soldiers didn't seem to think much about the war at all.

If even the soldiers whose lives are on the line are disaffected, is it any wonder most Americans pretend the war doesn't exist?

I have spent a lot of time fuming, ranting and crying. The yard sign disintegrated months ago.

So I have "joined up" in the name of peace. It is something I can do.

No comments: