Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Greasy and delicious

Since last time we were in Lusaka, I've been debating with myself about Crisco. I've never seen it for sale anywhere in Zambia except at the grocery store by the Peace Corps office, but I didn't buy it last time we were in town because 1. it cost 65,000 kwacha, which is a shocking $13 (and we make in the low triple digits, so this is saying something), and 2. I knew Trevor would harass me mercilessly if I did because let's face it, there is something pretty creepy and disgusting about Crisco.

But honestly, I prefer Crisco cookies to butter ones (I know, I know, I know) and the last package I got from my mom contained two bags of real chocolate chips (something else you can't buy here; usually people just chop up candy bars). So I finally decided to go for it, and when I got to Melissa's this afternoon I discovered that Crisco is temporarily marked down to 40,000!!! I even found a tub at the back of the shelf that doesn't expire until December (the ones in front expire the day after tomorrow).

It's as if the universe is saying, sorry about the puke thing, why don't you go home and make yourself some nice cookies. Thanks, universe. I will!

No comments: