Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Little Things

In true Peace Corps fashion, the newbies spent much of their first few days in Zambia lugging their giant suitcases, backpacks and duffel bags around. I would love to peek in their bags and see what they considered essential for survival in Africa.

Of course, this is different for everybody and every situation. On this latest trip to Lusaka, my quality of life was enhanced greatly by the real coffee I brewed in my travel mug/ French press, pulled from the Chipata house free box. When the newbies struggled to make peanut butter sandwiches during a pit shop traveling upcountry, they were impressed when I pulled a camping spoon/fork out of my bag. And starting out on the trip, I stuffed a half dozen plastic bags in the roll bars of the Cruiser.

No comments: