Monday, July 27, 2009

Oxymoron of the week

After dropping off the newbies for their first site visit, we met up with a volunteer at a shop near her house. Alongside the Spiderman and kiddie punk rock satchels for sale was a pink and purple backpack featuring Barbie... wearing a burqua. I recognized her by her mascara.

It took all my willpower not to buy it, but then I wandered across the road for a cold diet Coke and got assaulted by the maniac orange-selling ladies again and the feeling passed. I did manage to score a watermelon this time around, and it rolled out of the truck and cracked open on the concrete just as we arrived back at the office. (Note to the singer/songwriters out there: Similar to "rain on your wedding day," I would consider this rotten luck, not irony. Anyway, we still ate the watermelon.)

No comments: