Monday, January 14, 2008

Sleepless

If you're planning to go to Zambia as a PC volunteer, I recommend that you don't read The Unheard by Josh Swiller. I picked it up at the library last week and was so excited to find a book by somebody who had served in the country we're headed to.

Then I settled into bed Saturday night with it. The book opens with Swiller getting nearly killed by an angry mob. From there, it's downhill. When I closed my eyes, I imagined getting chased by angry villagers and wild animals. My imagination had a party imagining all the horrible possibilities.

With packing up a house crammed with junk, saying goodbye to my friends and family, and myriad other details, I'm having enough trouble sleeping as it is. I haven't gotten a decent rest since last week. I'm starting to feel undead.

Maybe I'll give that book another try in two years.

No comments: