Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My purpose in life

I get carsick and my language skills are not even mediocre (especially in Nsenga, a language I have never studied but is commonly spoken in the southern part of Eastern Province), but I realized today that I do play an important role in visiting the sites we're developing for the volunteers who will arrive in February.

This morning I stood in the yard of one of the houses that's under construction, gazing out over the heads of every person assembled to discuss modifications we're asking them to make, and I realized that my job is to Be Big, so that we demonstrate to the teensy little villagers that they shouldn't build one of their hobbit houses for their forthcoming Enormous American.

Who knows? Maybe the volunteer will be a runt. But where I come from, I'm average.

No comments: