Saturday, November 21, 2009

A tribute

Although I am a zillion miles away from home, I did celebrate my mom's birthday by indirectly paying tribute to her considerable skills as a hostess when we hosted friends for brunch. (Brunch! What idiot invented brunch? Too late for breakfast, too early for lunch!)

Anyway I was proud of myself for pulling off two quiches, spicy roasted potatoes, lemon poppyseed muffins, and fruit salad in a kitchen the size of an airplane restroom, with an oven that requires propping shut with a metal bar, and around the quirks of the Zambian electrical supply.

Sadly, I was completely put to shame later in the evening when we went to the house of some other friends, who cooked for five times more people, supplied a fridge full of beers and softies, held their party at a reasonable time of day, and (most impressively) projected movies on their living room wall.

No comments: