Monday, June 8, 2009

Failures and successes

In trying to develop my Chipata projects, I've been stood up, postponed, and received enthusiastically for things I suspect my colleagues have no intention of helping to materialize.

But the garden that we double-dug in a frenzy of permaculture madness is doing great, despite a shady spot and soil that is sandy, rocky, and filled with compost so undecomposed that we regularly turn up entire peanut shells. Since not much had germinated after a week of sporadic watering due to the power being out, we decided to re-seed the greens, cilantro and basil yesterday. Suddenly a million little seedlings jumped up from the soil as if insulted by our lack of faith.

If nothing else, I'm going to be a raging overachiever when it comes to lettuce.

No comments: